Monday, September 15, 2008

Go Cougars and Male Nurses!!

We have had a CRAZY weekend as usual. It seems like I can never get on top of things, I keep waiting for life to slow down but it never does I guess this is what life is like as you get older. My parents gave us tickets to the football game so Randy, Lincoln and I went . This was Lincolns first game it was so fun to watch him and see how curious he was about everything. He was obsessed with Cosmo he kept pointing to him and wanted to go see him. We left Bree with my mom and dad, so she had some quality bonding time!

Later that night I was putting Bree to bed and I noticed that she was really hot so I took her temp. and it was 101, not super high, but she is just 2 months old. I called the on call Dr. and he suggested that we take her to the ER. Lincoln was sick the week before so I just figured that she got what he had, but we took her. When they took her temp at the hospital it was 104 (YIKES!!!) So I was super glad that we were in the hospital for that. They started to run all sorts of test on her, blood, urine, and an x-ray. After many painful pokes in many painful areas of her body, they were only able to get enough urine for a culture(the most important I guess). They did get a good blood sample and all that came back fine. So now it's 12:00am and we still have no idea why my little girl has such a high fever. The Dr. runs into our "room" (corner of the hospital with tissue paper separating us from the woman who just had gastric bypass and has dry heaves and can't stop talking about it and the woman who looks like she got in a cage fight, and lost) and very frantically ask how old our baby is, um she is still 8 weeks just like her chart says, Well that changes everything. WHAT how did you knot know how old your patient was?!?! I know she's a big baby but COME ON! Any way he tells us that because none of the the test are coming back with anything we need to do a spinal tap. So we agree to that and they try to do it with her awake. Didn't happen she was to wiggly so they sedated her and tried again, after 10 pokes in her back they gave up. I guess it was just to difficult for then to get anything out. So they gave us the option of admitting her, because we still have no idea why she has a fever, or we can take her home after they give her a shot of antibiotic to last till Monday. So we take out poor little beat up baby home at 2:30 am all to bless her at church the next day (note the earlier post). I took her into her regular Dr. this morning and they got the results of her urine culture, and it appears that she has a kidney infection. So now she is on more antibiotics and has to go and have more test run to make sure it's not more serious. Now we wait and hope that this is just a one time deal! She is doing much better now and is asleep as I post. I have to say I am so impressed with the Nurses that were there that night. Every single person who handled her was so compassionate and concerned for her, they comforted her while she was getting poked over and over and over again. All of her nurses were male and fantastic!
Ouch! Poor baby!

14 comments:

Angela Hill said...

poor baby!!! I hope everything turns out okay. There is absolutely nothing worse than a really sick child, especially when there are so many unanswered questions!!

p.s. her blessing looked beautiful and how awesome is that dress?!?!!

Kari said...

Oh poor thing, thats so sad. I hope the infection clears up quickly and they don't have to put her (or you) through anymore yucky stuff.

Jill said...

oh, poor baby. I'm glad you went in again today but sorry you have a sick little baby! Just makes me even more nervous for a new baby and germ season to hit. So sad, a kidney infection, that must be so uncomfortable I hope she feels better soon!!! We love timbee! She was so sweet on her special day!!

Mrs. O said...

I'm glad they were able to figure it out - those kind of things can get overlooked so easily. Wow! A spinal tap, she's a trooper (and so are you).

Her dress is darling.

Castle Family said...

Poor little girl!! And poor mama to have to see her baby go through all that. I hope she gets better fast. And don't you just love hearing your hubby give your baby a blessing?!?! It's the best!

Natalie Francis said...

Your poor baby! I'm so sorry all of that happened. I hope she is feeling much better now. Cute BYU picture :)

The Brock Family said...

Oh my goodness, that poor sweet baby! I can not believe she had to be poked so many times. I hope everything works out ok!

Natalie said...

awww rachel- i'm so sorry!! i can't imagine what you guys were going through. i hope everything turns out ok in the end. so glad the nurses did well-- i'll have to tell kevin that male nurses certainly are where its at :)

Wendy said...

Poor baby, it's so sad. She is a trooper though. Cute BYU family.

The Bentley's said...

rach that is sooo sad. I hate to see my kiddies in pain. poor thing. keep us posted hopefully it was a one time thing. yeah for male nurses... and LOVED the blessing pics. she is so cute. i could just eat her little cheeks!!

Jennica said...

OUCH! Poor baby, girl! Were any of these male nurses single?! Help a sister out!

Cute cougar family picture. :)

Jennica said...

I forgot to mention the pink leggings. SO CUTE!

Unknown said...

That makes me so sad when I see brand-new babies in any sort of pain.
I'm sorry about the kidney infection. I hope all turns well. It's harder when you're already sleep-deprived!
Good luck, I'm sure everything is going to be just fine (it usually is)

Becky said...

Hey, that is really sad! Let me tell you: I have had a spinal tap - and it's not so pleasant. I don't know how they get any kid under 13 to hold still for it.

Have you figured anything out? One time thing? Infection? What!?!