Monday, April 20, 2009

Never Forgotten


It's funny how things stick in your mind, like what my typing partner said to me, and how I felt the moment my Mom told me that there was a shooting in my high school.

I grew up on Littleton Colorado. I loved it there I had friends and it was all I knew I had never moved, until I was 16. Then on August 15, 1998, my parents moved us to Utah. Nine months later was April 20, 1999. I got paged to the office about 45min before school let out, it was a rainy gloomy day. I knew it was something big because I saw my older brother getting check out too. As we were walking to the car, my mom told us what had happened. We had SO many questions, so we went up to my aunts house and turned on the news and just watched, that's all we could do was watch. We tried to call everyone we could think of to make sure that our friends were all safe and not apart of that ever looming number. Thankfully none of them were. I think I just stared at the TV for hours I slept on the couch that night, sick and tired of them running the same images over and over again.

As we were driving to school the next day Kyle said to me, just be thankful that we are safe and that none of our friends were killed or hurt. I was thankful, and sill am.

I was able to go back and attend a few memorial services and the funeral of Rachel Scott. She was an amazing girl and I will always remember the few memories that I have with her. I was there when they re-opened the school for the first day of my senior year. Every year around this time I get homesick, I want to go back, Colorado will ALWAYS be my home.

The one thing that I have learned through all of this is how much my Savior loves me, and how faith is built through trials. When I went back I cannot tell you how much love there was, I was amazed at how people pulled together and showed their love and support, for everyone. What happened at Columbine was the worst thing that I could think of. But I know that it has brought good to people. Please go and check out Rachel's Challenge, it is Rachel Scott and her story she challenges us all to be better people through kindness and compassion. I think this is one small way that we can all learn from this tragedy. WE ARE.

8 comments:

Nichole W. said...

Thanks for posting that, Rachel. I watched the videos and it immediately brought tears to my eyes to hear the 911 call. Rachel's story is both heartbreaking and heartwarming! And the world definitely needs more kindness and compassion. It looks like she came from a great family as they are making this happen for her.

Megan said...

I remember very vividly watching it with you at my house. I just kept watching you and Kyle...very sad. I will check out the link as well :)

Anna said...

Love ya Rach..

winston and jillyn egan said...

Wow! What a touching story. I can't believe that was 10 years ago and I'm so thankful you weren't there. I never really know what to say in these types of situations, but my heart goes out to all of the families and friends that had to go through that. I love you woman, and am glad we became friends.

Wendy said...

It is awesome to see what a powerful person you have grown up to be. Love you...

Holly said...

wow rach i had goosbumps reading that whole thing. you are an amazing person rach. thanks for reminding me what they went through

Randi A. said...

I remember talking you on the phone that day. You made the tragedy so much more real to me. I can't believe that was ten years ago.

Jennica said...

That was a really nice post Rach. Thanks for sharing. It is a very very vivid memory. I am so grateful that our family moved. It would have killed me being in Utah, watching the news and wondering about you guys. I don't know if I have ever told you that...but I count my lucky stars that you were in Utah!!!